Fredrick James Sargood. Founder of the company.
Born; 1805 London
Died; 1873 London
Apprenticed to a draper at Brixton and later set up business at Malworth. In 1830 he married Emma Rippon, only living daughter of Thomas Rippon, Chief Cashier of the Bank of England.
In 1949 he decided to migrate to Australia, and his wife, 5 daughters and one son Frederick Thomas set sail by S.S. ‘Chifton’ on a ship of some 600 tons on 9th November 1849 and reached Melbourne on 15th February 1850. Upon arrival he established a temporary home in the east end of Flinders Street. Later, a cottage was erected at the top end of Collins Street about where the Treasury Buildings now stand.
Later the family moved from the Collins Street abode to a new commodious building in Dandenong Road, opposite St Kilda Cemetery. He took an active part in the Civil Administration of Prahran and became the First Chairman of the local Committee of Council (forerunner of the Municipal Council), the position being akin to a Mayor. He was recorded in his capacity in near ‘life size’ oil protrait [sic portrait] in the Prahran City Hall.
In 1856 he became a member of the First Parliament of Victoria.
Some time in 1851 he established his business of Wholesale Importers of Clothing and Textiles in Flinders Street (No.31) and opened a branch in Bendigo where the Gold Rush was in full swing. The person in charge of this branch was J.A.Ewen.